In partnership with Amy’s Kitchen, we have created this easy, yet impressive, Indian Spiced Dreamy Puff Pastry Swirls. It’s our modern take on an Indian snack called Bhakarwadi, which is perfect to serve during Diwali or even throughout the holiday season.
Diwali or Deepavali
As many of you know, I lived in Singapore for many years. One of the things that impressed me about living there is that they celebrate all the major religious holidays year-round. It means that yes, we did get about an extra 12 or so days off on top of our regular PTO.
One of those holidays is Diwali or Deepavali. The name translates to “row of lamps,” and it’s a Hindu festival that celebrates light over darkness. In Singapore there is a little area called Little India, which is all lit up with colored lanterns and looks oh-so-festive. During this time, families get together to clean up the house and decorate to bring in good vibes and happiness. Oh and they also have many sweet treats. One of them is called Bhakarwadi.
Traditionally, Bhakarwadi is a fried delicacy made from gram flour and filled with a spicy and sweet filling. This version gets its sweetness from Amy’s Dreamy Candy, and we use regular store-bought puff pastry to make it easy to make in the oven in minutes.
Indian Spiced Dreamy Puff Pastry Swirls
Our filling is flavored with desiccated coconut, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cardamom and chia seeds. You can add a little spice with some chill powder if desired.
All this goodness is then spread over the puff pastry and rolled into a tight log so that it makes a pinwheel pattern.
In a few minutes you have a sweet treat to share with your friends and family. It looks so festive and tastes so delightful. It can be served any time during the holidays.
- 4 Bars of Amy’s Dreamy Candy
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ Cup Desiccated Coconut
- ¼ Cup Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Cardamom
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Sheet of Store Bought Puff Pastry
- Small Cup of Ice Cold Water
- Follow the directions on how to correctly defrost the puff pastry.
Make the filling
- Melt the chocolate bars and coconut milk in a sauce pan over low heat. This will take about 5 minutes. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl mix the rest of the ingredients together and then add it into the chocolate mixture.
Make the Puff Swirls
- Take out the puff pastry and lay it out flat, with the long edge facing you. Spread out the chocolate and spice mixture leaving a 1 inch gap at the top with no mixture.
- Starting from the bottom, start rolling the puff pastry until it looks like a jelly roll. Seal at the gap by brushing the exposed pastry dough with ice water and roll it over so that the seam is at the bottom.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pre-Heat your oven to 350 Degrees. Take the pastry out of the freezer and using a very sharp knife cut 1 cm circles out of the dough. Place it on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes until puffy and golden brown.