Yes! Paleo Longsilog made with Longganisa crumbles, cauliflower rice, wilted greens and of course a fried egg. It’s the perfect meal if you are looking for something super healthy to eat.
This has been one of the recipes I have been meaning to make for the longest time. Finally the stars have aligned and I had all the ingredients to make this Paleo Longsilog. First of all lets answer this question first.
What is Silog?
Well it’s a breakfast dish consisting of 3 main components:
- A Protein in this case Longganisa
- Sinangag – Garlic Fried Rice
- Itlog – Egg
Let’s breakdown Long-si-log shall we.
Long is short for Longganisa | Si is short for Sinagag | log is short for itlog
To put it simply a Silog is a term of endearment to what Filipinos eat for breakfast. The first part is the type of protein you are eating. Then the day old rice cooked with garlic and a crispy fried egg to top it off. Because after all it’s breakfast.
How to Make This Paleo Longsilog
Now I am going to walk you through on how to make all the components of this meal. You will be using both the oven and the stove top at the same time, so be prepared with some multi-tasking.
- First thing is to put the cauliflower rice in the oven. Yes we are roasting it in a shallow pan. I find that it doesn’t sweat as much and you get some nice browning on the cauliflower. We are going to leave that in the oven for 20 minutes while we make the Longganisa.
- Make the Longganisa crumbles. I like to brown the pork first in olive oil and about 6 cloves of garlic. Yes that much. Don’t skimp! Once it’s all brown I add in the seasonings.
- Coconut Aminos
- Coconut Vinegar
- Just Date Syrup
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Leave the Longganisa in the pot and check on the cauliflower. I like it in the oven for at least 30 minutes. While that is still in the oven make some wilted greens.
- You can take your pick here. I like spinach as it cooks fast. I just do a quick saute with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. It should be done in 5 minutes.
- So you will have time to cut up some fresh tomatoes into wedges and dice some chives.
- Take the cauliflower out of the oven.
- Now at the very end fry up some eggs in olive oil for each person.
- Serve everything either family style or plate each serving. Your choice!
- Oh you can also serve some extra Coconut Vinegar on the side 🙂
For more Filipino inspired goodness in your life follow along on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest. Or subscribe to get these recipes in your inbox. And if you make this Paleo Longganisa I would love to see it. Tag your Instagram snaps with @rezelkealoha and #rezelkealohaeats.